phone(888) 886-7148 or (336) 886-7111

Nonwovens by FDI

Nonwoven Applications in Geotextiles

Posted by FDI Drylaid Team

Mar 17, 2016 10:31:13 AM

Geotextiles.jpg

According to Grand View Research, the global geotextiles market is anticipated to rise to $8.24 billion by 2020.   Primarily, geotextiles are used in the construction market to prevent erosion, on roads, for drainage and other applications. While the majority of nonwoven geotextiles are used in the United States, growing countries like China, the United Arab Emirates and Brazil, are expected to increase demand in the coming years.

But why does this matter to converters and manufacturers?  The truth is, there is some room for growth here.  With six manufacturers comprising about 40% of the global market, that leaves about 60% of the market ripe for smaller manufacturers and converters looking to expand into the geotextiles arena.

So, what do geotextiles applications look like?

Road construction

On roads, nonwoven geotextiles serve a few functions, including separation, drainage, filtration and reinforcement. 

Nonwoven fabrics designed for separation will keep the layers of different sized particles from blending into each other.  A primary separation layer is typically laid early in the road construction process.  The fabric strength of this layer must be carefully considered because it has to be able to survive the construction period of workmen and equipment without tearing, puncturing or abrading. The separation layer is also used as a reinforcement layer to strengthen the road base.

Due to the effect of road construction on the local environments, most construction crews are responsible not only for the roads themselves but also for the areas alongside roadways.  Erosion, runoff and sediment control are important factors for consideration and are often handled by silt fences made of nonwoven fabrics.  Factors to consider when opting to manufacture silt fences include permeability as well as filtration.  The fabric must be able to keep sediment from running into the roadway but also permeable enough to not be blocked by gathering sediment.   Resistance to ultraviolet light is yet another important consideration.

Erosion control

Nonwoven fabrics can be used extensively for erosion control along bodies of water to keep fine sediment from eroding away.  Factors to be considered when creating fabrics for erosion control are the type of erosion (for example, high waves or high velocity of water?) along with permeability, ultraviolet light resistance and resistance to abrasion.  

The geotextiles market is here to stay and is growing steadily with the advent of additional regulations in rapidly developing countries.  There is plenty of room in the market for innovative manufacturers and converters who would like to expand their product offerings into a new market or complement existing products in the geotextiles market. 

Learn everything you need to know about Nonwovens by clicking the image below. 


Nonwovens in the World - Download Now

Topics: General Nonwovens, news, geotextiles

Nonwoven Manufacturing Is Our Business

We're interested in finding solutions for manufacturing problems in the nonwoven arena.  We view challenges as an opportunity to assist a manufacturing partner when no one else can.  If you're looking for tips on the nonwoven manufacturing business, you've come to the right place.

Things to consider:

  • More products are using nonwoven fabrics than ever
  • As technology improves, so does nonwoven manufacturing
  • You should always partner with a manufacturer interested in solutions

Subscribe to Email Updates

Follow Me